Monday, September 22, 2008

Singing Again!

One of my favorite things about living in Mesa where I do is the fact that virtually nobody has heard of the "Roots". I tell people my maiden name and they just give that interested nod and then start talking about something else. If I was living anywhere south of Main street or possibly even University, people's eyes would have light up and ask if I was related to so-and-so...who would inevitably be a sibling of mine. Don't get me wrong...I LOVE my family, but getting away from all the preexisting notions of my musical ability, behavior, and intelligence that people always seem to have associated with the Root name has been SO NICE!! I've been able to develop into my true self and become confident in my abilities. Now, everyone who knew me prior to my marriage knows that I love to sing. I was definitely one of the nerdy choir kids whose life revolved around concerts, musicals, gigs, and auditions. However, after I got married, I pretty much quit singing. I don't really know the reasons behind it, but I think I just wanted to take a break from it.

I really missed it! I would listen to the soloists is church and have the pang of regret. I love performing and letting others listen to me...my singing is something that I've really worked for and I really am sad that I'm not quite at the level that I was my senior year of highschool (if you don't use it, ya lose it...i guess Mr.A. was right!). So, I decided to start going to my ward choir practice! It was kind of hard because I'm so biased when it comes to ward choir directors (Greg Miller was totally amazing!!!), so I had a little bit of a rough time adjusting to Bro. Arbizu's opera tendancies. I'm really starting to like him though...he's actually really good...he's just a little spacey :)

Singing again has felt SO GOOD!!! And, in addition to the ward choir, I signed up to be in this community choir that Bro. Arbizu is starting. We're going to be singing accapella and eventually going around to different nursing homes performing. I'm really excited!

5 comments:

nate and marne said...

good for you! i too, was a choir nerd. i quit once i started having babies, and just haven't made it back yet. you give me inspiration to start again. i really do love singing. i have a lot of work to do though, before i would be happy with my own performances, i am way rusty. what's the details on the choir you are joining? let me know, maybe i could sing with you guys!! :)

JaimieA said...

Ah the good ol' Choir days, eating lunch in the choir room, ditching Choir Council meetings to eat at Neilson's, sleeping on the ground during 6th hour... life was soooo good then...

Tim and Katy Glemser said...

Aw Lisa I'm glad to hear it! You had such a beautiful voice. But I know what you mean about getting away from the assumptions people have based on your family and relations...it's nice to discover who you really are. :) Good luck with your singing!

rachel said...

I love your voice, you sing beautifully and you had better let me know if ever you have a solo:)

Riachik said...

I know what you mean about choir... I love being at choir, it's just hard to squeeze it all in or have enough breath to even sing a decent note when you're pregnant. Good luck with that these next few months (standing up helps). It is so good to read up on you! Sis. Haynie (you can call me Maria if it isn't too weird... I don't care if you call me Sis. Haynie forever, either :)