Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Pacifier

No. I'm not talking about the movie with The Rock. I'm talking about the baby husher...or binky...or passy...or boppo (that's what Taylor calls it). To different women in different stages of motherhood, the "boppo" represents many things. When Taylor was an infant, I ENCOURAGED the pacifier. I wanted her to learn to love it so it would keep her quiet. Now, that stupid boppo and I have a love-hate relationship....I love it because Taylor goes to bed SO easily with her beloved boppo, but I hate because she will ONLY go to bed easily with her boppo.
With Taylor being 20 months old, Jared and I feel that it is high time to ditch the thing. As it is, we've only let her have it at bedtime/naptime. And, sometimes we'll bring it with us to Church so she'll stay quiet during Sacrament meeting. Today, though, I was very careful NOT to bring her boppo to church...and then she stashed it in her diaper bag when I wasn't looking! She is WAY too smart!
But, I digress. So, back around the time she had just turned one, I actually got Taylor totally weaned from the blasted pacifier...we had like a good 2 weeks of her not needing it. But then, she got really sick, and she slept SOOOOOOO good if we gave it to her. I figured, "hey. I weaned her once. I can just wean her again, and it should be even easier the second time around." FALSE. IT is MUCH harder the second time around. I'm not quite sure how to do it..but I WILL be successful...eventually?

3 comments:

Stacy said...

My thoughts are such: Just plan on 2-5 days of Heck! The time when you want to give in just DON't! Cut up the boppo if that will stop you from giving in. It's a week of pain but so worth it in the end.

Megan said...

That's what I'd say- I've heard it only takes a few days and then it's all over. We have the same problem though. I remember a time when Audrey wasn't too attached to her binky, and she only had it at sleeping times, I think it was before she turned 18 months. After that, though she became inseparably attached to it and learned to ask for it. I still haven't gotten her off of it... I'm planning on after we get back from Christmas vacation... good luck!

Ben and Annalee said...

Hey, you do what you want. Before I had kids if I saw a 2 or 3 year old with a pacifier I thought wow, seriously? Or if I saw a 2 year old still on a bottle I just thought wow, you haven't weaned them? Now I'd never say anything b/c that's just rude but how rude was it that I thought that of mom's?! How rude of me. But now that I have my own kid you do whatever you can to help them sleep, be happy, yada, yada, yada. So you just do whatever you want! :) My friend took her kids to build a bear and they stuck the pacifier in the bear and sewed it up and whenever they wanted their pacifier the just held onto the bear. Now her son was 2 1/2 at the time so understood it and loved holding onto his bear. I don't think Taylor would quite comprehend that. :)But an idea in case she still has it at like 3, perfect idea!