Friday, July 1, 2011

Family Dynamics


One of the funny things about living with your in-laws is seeing how everyone interacts. Jared and I have lived with his parents for about a year and half...more than half of Taylor's life. So, this is what Taylor has known for most of her recollection, which makes for some entertaining relationships. Along with the sometimes forgetting that Grandma and Papa aren't Mommy and Daddy (which is to be expected), I think Taylor views her Aunt Alexa (who still lives at home) as her sister. And, not in a good way. For example: whenever Alexa walks in the room, Taylor looks right at her and screams...for no reason other than the fact that Alexa just entered the room. Also, this morning as Alexa was getting ready for work in the living room, Taylor was sitting, totally contented, on the floor watching Caillou (blech) on TV. Out of the TOTAL blue, Taylor looks up at Alexa and said in her most authoritative tone, with a look of disdain on her face, "MY show." (uh, Taylor? Nobody else cares to claim it...) Alexa hadn't said a word! The two of them also argue (which is both ridiculous and entertaining...) Man!
This really reminds me of the relationship I had with my older brother, Michael, when I was really young. Michael is 6 years older than me, but even when I was really little (like 3 or 4), I remember getting into arguments with him...and even if everything was my fault, he'd get most of the blame because he was so much older than me. "Michael, stop! She's 4!" This is really awful of me, but I remember getting SO much satisfaction from him getting in trouble over something that was probably my fault. SAD.
Oh family dynamics!

1 comment:

Wendy Hansen said...

That is so true. When my brother in law lived with us he was another kid. They fought over cereal, TV, everything, it cracked me up.