Thursday, November 17, 2011

Coincidence?

As I was rocking my baby girl to sleep this morning, I was watching the Disney channel with Taylor. We were watching a clip that had a bunch of old Mickey Mouse characters, and I noticed some things that got me thinking...some of the characters were motherless. Take Goofy, for example. He has his son, Max, but there's never any mention of Max's mother...does he have one? I know Goofy has seemed to have an ongoing crush on Clarabelle the Cow, but I don't think she's Max's mom. And what about Hewey, Dewey, and Louie? They live with their Uncle Scrooge in DuckTales, but in the old clips, Donald is taking care of them. Are the orphans? Is Donald their dad? Then, THAT got me thinking to the Disney movies...there seems to be a large majority of them that have broken families or awkward family situations. In Snow White, it only talks about her stepmother, who's the evil queen. But what about her regular mother? And, to have a Stepmother, her father must've remarried...and that would've made him the King. Where was he when the Queen was trying to kill Snow White? Cinderella's parents die. Bambi's mom dies. Sleeping Beauty was estranged from her parents for 16 years (awkward). Wart from Sword in the Stone was an orphan. Mowgli from Jungle Book was an orphan. Ariel makes no mention of a mother. Belle doesn't have a mother. Simba's father died. Aladdin doesn't have parents. Do I really need to go on? Strange.
Also, have you noticed that a LARGE majority of Disney's villians are really skinny and angular? And that almost all of the antagonists die by falling far distances?

Sorry...this is all really random...but I guess you could blame it on watching kiddie shows all day combined with sleep deprivation :)

5 comments:

Alicia & Robert said...

I have noticed the whole motherless / parentless thing before in disney movies too. must make for more interesting stories or something(or just less character development) And I see what you mean about the whole skinny villain thing - but I just have to point out that Ursula is the opposite. And Donald is also an uncle - so i don't know if hewey duey and lewey have parents. I guess that would also make donald and scrooge brothers?

The Gordon said...

Ariel's mom actually dies by being crushed to death by a pirate ship, sad huh and a little disturbing. I only know this because we have the Little Mermaid movies.

Staceygirl said...

Good observation! And the princesses always fall in love so easily and live happily ever after... are we preparing our daughters to fail or what? I guess we should take many opportunities to tell our children that these are just fairy tales...

BJ said...

Disney doesn't make up their own stories -- they just re-write them, and most of the time give them happier endings. I have a friend who loves Mulan the most because it was all about family honor -- and she did have a mother, father and grandmother!

Josh said...

I am pretty sure the whole Goofy and his son thing is explained in A Goofy Movie. Check it out.